Thursday, April 8, 2010

neiman marcus, why do you torture me so?



beauty queen alexis suggested that i meet her at neiman's yesterday for lunch and who am i to turn that invitation down?! fabulous company and great life advice, that infamous cream cheese spread, and feeling like you're the creme de la creme of old san antonio society...it's delightfully fun for an afternoon.

oh sure i'm like any other girl and i do love to get dressed up, but if you couldn't tell from reading this blog; by and large, i'm a jeans and boots gal. you'll never find me holding a handbag (i hate carrying baggage - ha!) or wearing stilletos all night long. i didn't take classes at baylor called "fashion forecasting" like several of my friends and i don't really give too much of a damn about designers. what do i get excited about? when a new line of double d ranchwear comes out, when the king ranch saddle shop catalog arrives, when i find something amazing at bass pro or cabela's, when i get to go out wearing a white tank and a baseball cap!!!!! (just don't mistake me for gretchen wilson.)

however, when a girl walks into neiman's everything changes. it's like a hazy, intoxicating dream. one minute you're being offered a glass of champagne and the next you're fingering the prolific artistry of an oscar de la renta ball gown or a missoni knit top. the next thing you know, i turn into holly golightly and i imagine a life where i have movie premieres and fantastic dinner parties to wear all of these gorgeous clothes. then reality hits and i longingly pull myself away from staring at the tory burch tunic and michael kors sandals.

then my pre-prepared track plays in my head, "shannan, you chose to save the world and cultivate social change. that was a conscious decision that you made and with that comes the obvious fact that social workers cannot live like the housewives of orange county dear!!!!! remember that the clothes do not make the woman and you must always know the difference between NEED and WANT - because you know there's a difference."

i agree that my subconscious angel on my shoulder is right and that while my life may not be filled with tangible signs of wealth, i am rich with the things you can't see and that's all that matters to me.

as i walk out of the hallowed doors of nieman's, i smile and laugh at myself. oh the joys of being a girl...

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I know the feeling! Whenever we go to Northpark in Dallas we always park by Neimans so we can walk through it and daydream, even though we buy nothing on that half of the mall.

Maggie said...

Oh Neimans. Its funny because I'm getting my degree in Fashion Design and everyone here thinks I'm nuts because I don't want to work in NYC and I don't know all the latest garments put out by the hottest designers. I also don't own basically anything designer either, nor do I care. Until I can move somewhere south, I'll have to settle for my Pocono house and I'd love to jsut open a small boutique. I'd be completely happy owning my own tiny store up there because its so secluded and absolutely gorgeous, and that's all I feel I need from life.